Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Something Else I Remembered

I went to the gynecologist for the first time when I was 25. I'm not sure if I remember this correctly but, I think back then if there was no history of cancer in your family it was recommended that the first visit be between the ages of 21 and 25. I know I should have gone sooner because I was having problems but, because my mother and aunt (who I spent a lot of time with) didn't seem to be taking me seriously and, pretty much, thought I was just being a baby, I didn't go. When I did, the doctor actually took me seriously when I told him how irregular and painful my periods were. He put me on birth control pills to regulate my periods (I was using The Sponge at the time.) and he said it should take care of the pain as well.

My sainted Italian Catholic mother was mortifed that I was on The Pill. She didn't know I was sexually active at the time and believed this was a green light for me to be a slut. Even after I tried explaining to her that it wasn't for birth control, it was to help make me feel better, she was still upset. She could not believe that my periods would be bad enough that I'd need a prescription to take care of it. (She's a nurse, by the way, which makes everything I post about her even more unbelievable to me. But, as I said earlier, I do love her.)

I only took The Pill for two years (until I got married) because it really wasn't helping very much. After that, it would be 3 more years before I went back to the gynecologist. He suggested I go back on The Pill. I said "No." I didn't go back. I didn't see another gynecologist until this one retired 10 years later. The new one didn't take me seriously either. He suggested I take Pamprin every 3 hours instead of every 4 hours for pain. He never addressed the heavy, irregular periods.

Five years later, I finally got a gynecologist who took me seriously. Thank God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home