Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

My Best Friend

Anyone who has read my other blog knows that my best friend is a guy. I thought this would be a problem because I wouldn't be able to talk to him about a lot of things related to the hysterectomy. I was wrong. Granted, I didn't feel the need to go into a lot of the gory and disgusting details, but I did tell him how I was feeling pre-surgery and he was very supportive.

He lives several hundred miles away (a six-hour drive) so we only see each other in person a few times a year. One of his scheduled visits (to see his parents, not just me) was May 26, two weeks after the surgery. We planned on going out to dinner if I felt up to it. I was bound and determined to feel up to it because there's no way I wanted to miss out on spending time with him. However, when the day arrived, I still felt pretty bad. Well, not bad really. Just too tired to go out to dinner. Even with him. *sigh* It was so hard for me to say I couldn't go because I knew he'd be disappointed. And I really, really wanted to go. But I didn't. And, yes, he was disappointed but he said "The most important thing is that you start feeling better." I was so grateful that he said that.

Well, he was here again over the weekend and we did get to go out. Only for a couple of beers this time, but still, we got to spend time together. He asked all the right questions and said all the right things (which he has in e-mails and phone calls, too) and then we got on with the visit.

I guess that's one of the reasons you choose the best friends you do. He knew that I needed to talk about it and get it out of my system before we could talk about anything else. I wish people other than The Best Friend understood that. I know it's been almost nine weeks but I'm still pretty much obsessed with how I feel and how I'm recovering. So, all anyone has to do to get me to be "normal" is feed my obsession first. Could it really be that difficult to understand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home