Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Remembering

In yesterday's post, I wrote about remembering that I'd always, it seemed, had bad periods. Last night, I started remembering more things about that. In high school, one time I was so weak and dizzy during my period that one of the nuns gave me vitamins in the hopes of making me feel better. I was also in the nurse's office more than once with period-related migraines. I also remember being bedridden on the first day of my period until I was well into my 20s. I couldn't understand how girls in high school and college could function during the first day of the period. I also remembered a friend of mine telling me, about a week or so prior to my surgery, that 10 years ago I said "If I'm not going to have children, why can't I just get a hysterectomy and be done with this?"

So, although the last five years were bad ... the last 8 months prior to surgery in particular ... I realize that I've always had problems and a hysterectomy was absolutely the right thing to do. I'm not sure if I could have dealt with the "wait and see" approach until menopause. Seriously, I think I may have killed myself. Yes, that's how bad it was on some days.

Thank God for a doctor who took me seriously! Finally!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home