Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Good Things I've Noticed

Mostly, I post about problems here. I think that's because I need a place to vent. But, actually, I have noticed a few good things since the hysterectomy. One thing is that my complexion is so much better. It wasn't bad before (I don't even wear makeup.) but it's almost pre-adolescent clear now. Also, over the last couple of years I've had really dry feet, especially my heels, and (sorry if this is TMI) really hard, brittle toe nails. Both problems are now resolved. Yay!

These things, plus a post at Hyster Sisters have given me hope about a bigger problem ... a problem that has me really worried. For the last few years I've been losing my hair. Luckily, it's pretty curly and if it's styled right it's not very noticeable. But it's been so bad that when I wash it there's a lot it on my hands that I have to wipe on a towel or it would clog up the drain. I thought it was either my imagination, or wishful thinking, that had me believing it's gotten better since the surgery. But after reading the post at Hyster Sisters, I learned that hair loss is one of the effects of anemia, as well as major surgery, along with out-of-control hormones. So, maybe it's not my imagination after all. Maybe this is another of the unexpected but oh-so-welcome side effects of a hysterectomy.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Alison Ashwell said…

    Thyroid problems are common after hysterectomies [and other'female' surgery' for some reason and that leads to hair loss. If you get tested don't just get a TSH, ask for a free T4 and Free T3 as well as many women are dismissed as 'normal' when just the TSH is used.
    Good luck

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Thanks Alison! I'll definitely mention that to my doctor when I see him next month ... if he doesn't mention it first.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home