Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Whining & Waiting Too Long

I'm afraid of turning this into Anne's Whine Blog. I want to look back on this a year from now and remember how awful I felt and how far I've come. I also want other women to know they're not alone in how they're feeling. But I'm finding that it's hard not to cross the line from relaying how I feel to downright whining. Why? I just feel like crap.

I know one of the reasons I feel as bad as I do (and I'm feeling worse by the minute, it seems) is that I waited so long to get this taken care of. Last summer I felt better than I'd ever felt in my life. I was walking 5 miles almost everyday. Now, I have a hard time walking the half a block from my house to the mini mart and back. Last summer I practically jumped out of bed after 6 or 7 hours of sleep. Now, I sleep 9 or 10 hours a night, and take at least one nap during the day, and I'm still exhausted. I could sleep even more than I have been if I didn't have so much to do. Since about October of 2003 I very rarely took any kind of medication. Before that, it was mostly for problems with my teeth. For the last month or so, I've been taking Excedrin Migraine and ibuprofen everyday.

Why didn't I see that something was wrong with me? A couple of days ago I posted here that after losing so much weight I knew my body and I knew when something was wrong. I guess I knew something was wrong this time, but I gave myself the wrong diagnosis. I thought it was a combination of two things. Over the holidays I ate way too many carbs. I thought once I got back on Atkins, and stuck to it like I'd done before, I'd be fine. I also thought, because I'm 44, I was going through perimenopause and it was something I'd just have to deal with.

It wasn't until, after sticking to my diet religiously for a month, I couldn't zip up my "skinny jeans" anymore that I knew I had to go to the doctor. I wish I'd known months ago that symptoms of fibroid tumors are similar to those of perimenopause.

The moral of the story is: When your general practioner tells you to go to your gynecologist, especially if you haven't been in a couple of years, go to your gynecologist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home