Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Gynecologst Visit

My gynecologist unexpectedly died in early February. He was in his early 40s. Although I'd only been to him a couple of times I was just as devastated as his other patients were. So, not only was I going to the GYN because something was wrong, I was going to a new gynecolgist I didn't even know. I was apprehensive, to say the least.

I told Molly the nurse all my period-related symptoms. She told me to make sure I told the doctor. I did. He said "Well, we'll try and find out what's causing that." I jokingly asked "Could it possibly be because I'm 44?" He and Molly both laughed. He said it's possible but he didn't want to say anything yet. I told him I was perfectly aware of the fact that I'm 44. We joked a little more about being 44 (he is, too) and how getting older sucks. He did the PAP smear. No problem. I couldn't tell, though, if the exam was taking longer than usual because I hate it so much and it was just my imagination, or if it really was taking longer. I later realized it wasn't my imagination. When he was finished with the internal, he pressed down on my abdomen. I could tell by the look on his face we weren't going to be joking anymore.

He told me I had an enlarged uterus and I needed to have an ultrasound. He told me we'd talk about everything after that.