Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The next two weeks

The earliest I could be scheduled for an ultrasound was two weeks from the date I heard the words "enlarged uterus." I spent those two weeks doing a lot of research. I was relieved to find that, according to my symptoms, I probably had fibroid tumors. I was further relieved to learn that fibroids don't turn into malignant tumors.

I was especially interested in reading about the treatment options. I knew wasn't going to go for the "do nothing" approach and wait for menopause. I'm only 44. There's no way I could go through this for however many years I'd have to wait for menopause. The other options ranged from a simple in-office procedure to a hysterectomy. I thought I'd probably have an option somewhere in between, based on the way I felt. I was thinking same-day surgery, maybe.

But the symptoms got worse over the next two weeks. I was taking ibuprofen, Pamprin, Excedrin migraine. All of that just seemed to dull all the various kinds of pain I was having. It never really went away.

I even had to buy new skirts to fit over my abdomen because, now that the weather was nicer, I couldn't cover it up with long bulky sweaters.

I also had another period, 18 days after the last one. The bleeding was very heavy. The cramps had me incapicitated for an entire day and part of another.

I kept counting down the days until the ultrasound. At least then I'd have an idea of when all of this was going to end.