Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The ultrasound

This was just me being stupid, I guess. I've had a couple of ultrasounds before so I thought I knew what to expect. I don't know why I didn't think it would be internal. I was just glad I took the "gynecologist shower" and did the "gynecologist shave," if you know what I mean. :)

It didn't hurt. It wasn't even uncomfortable, really, although my GYN did apologize for the discomfort. He said he was just looking for my ovaries but said the fact that he was having trouble finding them was good. It meant they weren't enlarged.

After the procedure, he told me what I'd already learned from my Internet research. I had fibroids. I didn't think I'd have five, though. And I didn't think they'd be the size of golf balls. But at least I knew my protruding abdomen had nothing to do with not sticking to my diet.