Hyster Blog :: Uterus-free since May 2005

My experiences with fibroid tumors and hysterectomy.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Odds & Ends

I should post more often so I don't forget what I'm feeling/felt at the time I'm feeling it. Be that as it may, here we go.

Why do people think 6 is the magic number? Just because it's been 6 weeks (actually 7 now), I am NOT back to normal. I feel a heck of a lot better than I did a month ago, but I am by no means back to "normal." The main problem is that I'm so tired! Even if I don't overdo it, I still need to rest a lot during the day. When I'm stupid and I do overdo it, forget it. I have to take a nap and then lie down for the rest of the day and part of the next day. And "overdoing it" can be something as seemingly simple as pushing a shopping cart. Very frustrating.

Swelly belly sucks! When I wake up in the morning my stomach is as flat as it was last summer, before the fibroids started wreaking havoc. By about 6 p.m., it's swelled about about 6 inches or more. I can put on a skirt in the morning and it fits just fine. By early evening the buttons on the waist are ready to pop. And I go up an entire jeans size during the course of the day. Like I said, it sucks.

All these little aches and pains suck, too. Mostly, they're just annoying but, every now and then, I need to take something for them, and sometimes it doesn't even help. Last night, in fact, I was doubled over in pain at the grocery store. And people are SO compassionate, aren't they? As I was doubled over, a guy asked me to move because I was blocking the ice cream he wanted. That's why I hate going out shopping or to a restaurant, or even just for a walk, because I don't want people to think that just because I'm doing "normal" things, I feel normal.

Insomnia is a side effect I hadn't expected. After a week of not being able to get to sleep until about 5 a.m., and then only for a couple of hours, I bought an OTC sleep aid. So far, it works pretty well. Actually, it still takes about 2 hours for me to fall asleep, but at least I'm sleeping.

On the plus side, I am able to walk again for exercise, not just because I'm supposed to for the recovery. If it hadn't been so hot & humid here for the last few days, I'm sure I could have walked a mile. As it was, I almost did, although it did wipe me out. I think that was more from the humidity than the activity, though.

The biggest plus is that I finally lost 9 of the 13 pounds I gained after surgery. I gained it because I went back to my old habit of comfort eating. I felt yucky and felt sorry for myself, so I ate a lot of things I shouldn't have eaten. Now that I'm over that, and getting to where I was before the surgery, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Pre-surgery, I had gained 25 pounds from October to April. I've heard that gaining 20 due to fibroids is average, so I'm not beating myself up about that. I'm just going to buckle down and get it off again. I did it once (when I lost 125), so I can do it again. I'm sure of it.

I know there's a lot more I wanted to write but I can't remember what it was. Brain fog. Just another lovely side effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home